The District has adopted the following policies to guide the use of copyrighted materials.
Computer, Mobile Devices, Network, Email, and Internet Connections: Staff Use (HUM-A003)
g. Users are prohibited from engaging in the following actions:
6. Using computer equipment, mobile devices, the network, or other district electronic resources for:
a. Any illegal activity, including but not limited to, violation of copyright or other licenses or contracts.
Fair use guidelines:
Because the “fair use” provision of the law is general, it is not subject to either precise definition or automatic application. Within the general parameters of the “fair use” section, the guidelines prepared “to interpret” the law have direct implication for classroom teachers. An outline of the guidelines with some commentary and examples of “fair use” application by type of media are presented to assist teachers in deciding whether a copy may lawfully be made.
The law offers specific guidance for some copying of some media for some purposes. In other areas, the law is not clear and these areas will be noted and caution will be urged in not exceeding a reasonable “fair use” application. Strict prohibitions are stated in some guidelines. Schools should take precautions to ensure observance of these prohibitions.
Excerpt from Public Law 94-443
Section 107 . . . the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phono records or by any other means specified in these copyright laws, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
- the nature of the copyrighted work
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyright work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
|Saddle Stitch||Staple Left||Coil Binding||Comb Binding|
|Saddle stitch uses 2 staples in the center fold; commonly used for newsletters, magazines, comic books, and smaller page counts||2 staples on the outside left margin of a set of papers; used when you don’t have a center fold||Coil binding, also known as spiral binding, is a commonly used for larger page counts, like notebooks, reports, presentations, and proposals.||Comb binding utilizes round plastic spines with rings and square punched holes. Similar to coil binding, but not as durable|
|Single Fold||French Fold||Letter Fold||Z or Accordian Fold||Double Parallel Fold|
- 20# bond is standard copy paper (generally used for normal copies)
- 60# & 70for brochures (text weight)
- 70# for brochures (text weight)
- Cardstock for posters, business cards, and note cards.
- NCR is carbonless copy paper available in 2-part up to 5-part
In-House Paper Stock Available for your Printing Needs
- 20# BOND LETTER – 8 ½ x 11 – white, blue, green, canary, pink, ivory, goldenrod, salmon
- 20# BOND LEGAL – 8½ x 14 – white, blue, green, canary, pink, ivory, goldenrod, salmon
- 60# OPAQUE OFFSET (TEXT) LETTER – 8 ½ x 11 – white, tan, gray, orchid
- 60# ASTROBRIGHT TEXT LETTER – 8 ½ x 11 – celestial blue, cosmic orange, galaxy gold, gamma green, lift-off lemon, lunar blue, fuchsia, martian green, terrestrial teal, orbit orange, planetary purple, pulsar pink, re-entry red, rocket red, solar yellow.
- ASTROBRIGHT CARDSTOCK LETTER – 8 ½ x 11 – celestial blue, cosmic orange, galaxy gold, gamma green, lift-off lemon, lunar blue, fuchsia, martian green, terrestrial teal, orbit orange, planetary purple, pulsar pink, re-entry red, rocket red, solar yellow.
- 60# OPAQUE OFFSET (TEXT) TABLOID – 11 x 17 – white (also in 20#), blue, green, canary, pink, cream, goldenrod, peach, orchid, gray, tan
- 60# PARCHMENT TEXT LETTER – 8 ½ x 11 – white, blue, natural, sand, celadon (green)
- 67# VELLUM BRISTOL CARDSTOCK LETTER – 8 ½ x 11 – white, blue, green, canary, pink, ivory, goldenrod, salmon, peach
- 23 X 35 TEXT – PARENT SHEETS – All 23 x 35 sheets can be cut to custom sizes, call for information.
- white – 60#, 70#
- white linen – 70#
- natural linen – 70#
- natural smooth finish – 70#
- coated matte finish – 80#
- blue parchment – 60#
- 23 X 35 – COVER– Parent Sheets – All 23 x 35 sheets can be cut to custom sizes, call for information.
- white- 65/80#
- white linen – 80#
- natural linen – 80#
- natural smooth finish – 80#
- coated matte finish – 80#
- gloss coated 1-sided – 8pt
- blue, green, canary – 67#
- NCR PAPER – All selections available in: 8½ x 11, 8 ½ x 14, 11 x 17
- 2 part (white, canary)
- 2 part (white, pink)
- 3 part (white, canary, pink)
- 4 part (white, canary, pink, goldenrod)
- 5 part – special order – (white, green, canary, pink, goldenrod)
- DSF brings a full-service copy center directly to your computer.
- Once a DSF account is created, users can submit, proof, and track their copy orders online.
- 24-hour turnaround time is offered on classroom copy needs. Note: special order stocks may require additional production time.
- Some custom products are now available through DSF (envelopes, letterhead, business cards, and NCR forms)
- Original work that is prepared by the customer.
- Print is usually classroom-type copying.
- Copy work is generally printed on standard paper and requires only collating, stapling and/or hole punching.
- Cutting and folding may be involved.